Friday, 27 January 2012

I Don't Believe In Conspiracies

Among the people I spend time with are several who believe in conspiracies. I'm not talking about big, crazy conspiracies, like how Roswell was the aliens covering up their failed infiltration of the US Government which succeeded during Watergate and then said aliens started planning 9/11. I'm talking about the ones we hear around us every day. Ever heard the words 'Big Pharma'? That's a conspiracy theory. So is anything which says 'Well, that's what they want you to think'.

Take the Church, as I often do in these examples. It's not exactly that forward-thinking on certain matters - Official Declaration 2 only came out in 1978, as I've mentioned recently, and women aren't exactly equal either. Some are apt to represent this as a conspiracy among the General Authorities. 'They want to keep women/blacks weak', goes the refrain. 'They're scared of them'. And so on.

I don't think it's true. At least not consciously. Remember, these are a bunch of men who grew up in the 30s and 40s, maybe the 50s. They are old. They are politically conservative. All of this adds up to an outlook and mindset which simply doesn't register that there's a problem - and the Church has built up a cocoon around them to stop them figuring it out.

So no. I don't believe it's a conspiracy. I just think they haven't cottoned on.

No comments: